BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Powered By Blogger

SHREYA GHOSHAL

SHREYA GHOSHAL

Thursday, May 13, 2010

From reality show to playback stardom !!

This whole article is by Shankaran Malini from Express news service!

so guys this is not my creativity , still you gonna get good information about our melody queen "SHREYA GHOSHAL" , This article is based on her latest interview. And hope you all will like this.

Shreya ghoshal is all excited about "raavan" and talks to Shankaram Malini about music industry, her inspirations and the things that she likes.

Growing up with music

I spent about 13 years of my life at Rawatbhatta, a small village near Kota,Rajasthan It was a township, which was cutt off from the urban city life. I used to travel 10KM up and down to Kota to lean music. I learnt classical hindustani there. I didnt get the opportunity to learn Carnatic music, then "sa re ga ma" gave me a lot of exposure . But my first big break was singing in "DEVDAS".

Inspiration from family

My mom is a house wife and my dad is an engineer. We bengalis simply love music. My mother has been my musical inspiration and even today i look up for her opinion - be it a criticism or appreciation. I need her guidance forever. But my dad silently appreciates me and what ever i am today is because og f him.

Reality shows - then and now?

When i won "sa re ga ma", the platform didnt actually become a reality show . It wasnt that big or commercial. There wasnt an audience reaction like today. TV itself was not that big those days. Judges in such shows used to be big names from classical music such as Zakir Hussain ,Girija Devi and the like. But now the format change a lot , people from all over the world watch these shows , therefore the reach is bigger. Audiences make heroes out of their singers , i believe the scope of classical music is still exists, which i realized whem i was doing " music ka maha muqabla "

Your take on mobile auditions

It is yet another platform which is commercially beneficiary to audiences. I feel its a good move. And as we live in a fast paced world, innovation is the key to success . There was a time when audio cassettes were popular and then audio CDs took over. But now it is the age of internet downloads and mobile downloads.

Your take on remixes

I havent done a remix song as yet although some songs of mine have been remixed. Honestly i liked the original versions better. I'm okay with doing a remix as long as it enhances the song . I feel the music enthusiasts do a fantastic job with remixes.

Is the music Industry's still a man's world?

I would not completely agree with it. It's a phase . Currently, it is sufi music that is the trend and that is the male dominated area. But things will not be same for ever.

About being a versatile singer

All that i can say is i pay close attention to the music director and lyricist when the concept and situation of the song is being explained. I write down the lyrics in Devanagri marking all the places with required accents. I try my best to sing it as perfectly as possible . But there have been occasions when i have made mistakes and i read the reviews on internet. I only try to improve myself.

Current projects

My next in Tamil will be "Endhiran" and "i hate luv stories" in Hindi .

Role model

My role model has always been Lataji .

Music Director you want to work with??

Harris Jayaraj. I have sung for "Anniyan", one of his projects. It so happened that whenever a possibility of project would come up with him , it would not materialise owning to some reason or the other.

Would love to playback for?

Waheeda Rehman. How i wish i could sing for those B/W movies of hers.

A R Rahman

For me he has always been iconic and always full of surprises. It was for "Enakku 20 Unaaku 18" when i sang "Azhagiya Askava". That was my foray in Tamil. After that, it was only for "Sillunu Oru Kadhal" that i sang "Munbe vaa" , which went on to become a hit. Following that "Vinnaithadi Varuvaya" and now "Raavan". He never repeats genres in his works and is the only music director whome i have seen working late till nights. I have enjoyed working with him. I admire his patience. Thanks to him, i have experimented with so many genres.

Chennai

I am in awe of the music, the singers and music directors of the city. That apart, whenever i am here , i visit Saravana Bhavan and eat idlis and chutneys from Murugan idli kadai. I love the Chettinadu cuisine here.

Rapid Fire :

Cant live without : My phone, just switiched loyalties with Blackberry.

Most prized possession : Its an old Harmonium that i first used when i started to learn music.

Favourite Show : How I Met Your Mother

Style statement: A pair of jeans and white shirt.

Fitness mantra: Treadmill and Cardio.

Love to dig into: Thai cuisines , followed by bengali cuisines and Kongunadu.

What are you humming at the moment: "jo dil me khusi" , a Lata and hemant kumar composition - my all time favourite.

Favourite book: Jhumpa Lahiri's The name sake and the unaccustomed Earth.

Unforgettable lesson at school: It used to be the little quarrels during my school days. I was both the noise maker and the newsmaker.

Your biggest fear: Music should never become a burden.

Favourite singers: P Susheela and S Janaki.

Lyricists: Gen X lyricists are doing a great job.

If not a playback singer : I'd have become a scientist .

0 comments: